We’ve all been in a sales situation before that has felt pushy, aggressive, and focused solely on closing the deal. It feels horrible, right? You can feel the uncomfortable pushing energy which often has the opposite effect and makes you want to run, rather than buy.
I have noticed sales and business shifting towards real, authentic service, care, and connection. It’s how many businesses used to operate, and bringing back the ‘genuine’ gives me hope.
Focus seems to have moved from people centric to selling centric – we’re now taught to sell our product or service – not how to listen to what people really want or need. Listening involves building relationships with customers and clients, asking thoughtful questions, and genuinely caring about their needs and wants. Focusing on connection and relationship-building, actually leads to long-term customer loyalty and repeat business – imagine that!
Here are the 5 things that I use to help my clients create raving fans – customers that not only come back again and again, but who shout their praises from the rooftops and bring in more customers.
Create Raving Fans
- Ask thoughtful questions. Stop pitching your product or service, instead, take the time to ask your customers and clients questions about their needs, wants, and pain points. By listening to their answers, you can better understand their unique situation and tailor your conversation (pitch) accordingly.
- Focus on solving problems. Rather than trying to sell a product or service, focus on solving your customer’s problems. What challenges are they facing, and how can your product or service help to address those challenges? Be willing to send them elsewhere if you can’t help them. The last thing you want is an unhappy customer.
- Be authentic and genuine. Customers can sense when someone is simply trying to sell them something. It’s also exhausting. Be authentic and genuine. Showing genuine interest in your customers and their needs builds relationships based on trust and respect.
- Provide value. Whether it’s through informative blog posts, free webinars, or helpful resources, make an effort to give value to your customers and clients. Providing value, establishes you as a trusted authority in your industry and builds more of those relationships that last.
- Follow up and stay connected. Don’t just make a sale and then disappear – follow up with your customers and stay connected over time. It costs 10x as much to get a new customer than to keep a current one. Continue building on the loyalty and trust you built in steps 1-4 and your customers will keep coming back, and tell friends, doing the ‘selling’ for you.
Approaching sales and business with an intention of service, care, and connection is the most powerful way to build relationships, establish trust, and ultimately drive long-term success. By asking thoughtful questions, focusing on problem-solving, being authentic and genuine, providing value, and staying connected, you create customers for life and a reputation for excellence.
In case this is the first time we’re meeting, I’m Maren, an executive life coach, speaker, dancer, and serial entrepreneur empowering you to step into your purpose and live your most fulfilled life with her proven combination of proprietary and third party tools, processes and practices. To learn more about how we can work together one-on-one to uncover your unique gifts and get you dancing with life, click here. For corporate trainings or inquiries regarding speaking engagements, please complete this form.